top of page
  • TNS Electrical Solutions

Understanding and Treating Electrical Shock: A Comprehensive Guide By TNS - Electrician Putney

Electrical shocks are unforeseen accidents that can occur due to various reasons such as faulty wiring, damaged appliances, or direct contact with electrical sources. They pose a serious risk to personal safety and demand immediate attention. While prevention is paramount, knowing how to self-treat in the event of an electrical shock is equally crucial. Read on for expert tips from TNS Electrical Solutions, electrician in Putney, Wandsworth, London.


Electricians Putney
TNS Electrical Solutions - Electrician in Putney

What Happens During an Electrical Shock?

An electrical shock occurs when the human body comes into contact with an electrical source, causing an abrupt flow of electric current through the body. This can lead to various injuries ranging from mild discomfort to severe tissue damage or even fatalities, depending on the severity and duration of the shock.


Assessing the Situation

When witnessing or experiencing an electrical shock incident, it's essential to first ensure safety. Safety measures include switching off the power source immediately using the circuit breaker or unplugging the appliance if it's safe to do so. Avoid direct contact with the person affected until the power source is deactivated.


Self-Treatment Steps

Step 1: Assess the Severity

Assess the severity of the shock. If the shock is mild and the individual remains conscious and stable, proceed to the next steps. However, in cases of severe shocks where the person is unconscious or experiences breathing difficulties, seek immediate medical assistance by calling emergency services.


Step 2: Remove the Source of Electricity

If the electrical source is still in contact with the person, carefully disconnect it using a non-conductive object, such as a dry wooden stick, rubber gloves, or a piece of clothing. Ensure that you are not in direct contact with the individual or the electrical source.


Step 3: Check for Breathing and Pulse

After ensuring the safety of the surroundings, check the individual's breathing and pulse. If they are unconscious but breathing, place them in a recovery position and monitor their vital signs until medical help arrives.


Step 4: Perform CPR if Necessary

In cases where the individual is not breathing and doesn't have a pulse, commence CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) immediately, if you are trained to do so, while waiting for professional medical assistance.


Post-Electrical Shock Care


Seek Medical Attention

Even if the victim appears stable after an electrical shock, it's crucial to seek medical attention. Certain injuries may not be immediately apparent but could have serious long-term consequences if left untreated.


Monitor for Delayed Symptoms

Sometimes, symptoms may not manifest immediately after the electrical shock. Keep a close watch for any delayed symptoms such as burns, tingling sensations, or numbness, which could indicate underlying issues.


Prevention is the Key

While knowing how to self-treat an electrical shock is important, preventing such accidents is paramount. To minimize the risk of electrical shocks:


  • Regularly inspect electrical appliances and wiring for any damages.

  • Use Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) in areas prone to moisture.

  • Avoid using electrical appliances near water sources.

  • Educate family members or colleagues about electrical safety practices.

Stay Safe With TNS Electrical Solutions, Electrician Putney

Understanding how to self-treat an electrical shock is crucial in emergency situations. Remember, swift action can save lives. However, professional medical care should always be sought after any electrical accident, no matter how minor it seems initially.


By following the outlined steps and prioritizing safety, you can effectively respond to an electrical shock incident. Remember, prevention through regular maintenance and adhering to safety measures remains the most effective way to mitigate the risks associated with electrical shocks. If you can't resolve an issue yourself, get in touch:


  • Phone: 020 3715 2919

  • Address: Suite 30, Parsons Green, 27 Parsons Green Ln, London SW6 4HH


Review our electrical jobs on the PutneySW15.com forum - click here 


Message Us On Social Media:

Instagram: @tnssolutions

5 views0 comments
bottom of page